SaltyCajun.com

SaltyCajun.com (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Discussion (Everything Else) (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   What's Your Best Trick at the Boat Ramp? (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/showthread.php?t=29794)

eman 04-02-2012 09:38 PM

w as fishing w/ my brother out of joshuas in buras. We were out by the tata tanks and saw a storm coming cranked up got in the channel and hauled butt back to the dock didn't quite make before the monsoon hit. put him behind the wheel and jumped out the boat to go get the truck. when my crocs hit that wet pier they seemed to stick where they hit but i kept going . Face planted on the pier. the next day i thought someone had hit me w/ a bat.

wtretrievers 04-02-2012 09:45 PM

Ewe weeee! Ouch!

SULPHITE 04-02-2012 09:51 PM

damn ouch!

Raymond 04-02-2012 10:00 PM

Buddies friend was hot for trout one sat morning. He launched boat and took off down the ship channel. In his haste, he forgot to drive his truck off the ramp. They said the door was open and engine still running when they parked it.

1fastmerc 04-02-2012 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raymond (Post 414628)
Buddies friend was hot for trout one sat morning. He launched boat and took off down the ship channel. In his haste, he forgot to drive his truck off the ramp. They said the door was open and engine still running when they parked it.

Lol. That's a good one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

barbarian 04-03-2012 06:16 AM

I was a young teenager a very long time ago, but remember it like it was yesterday. We were at the I-10 launch and were loading our boat on the trailer. Not sure if it is still the same, but there used to be a double L in the sides of the wharf. I was tasked with holding the rope and pulling the boat to the trailer once it was backed in the water. We were nosed up to the L, so I had to push it out to get the boat around it. Well I gave a really hard push and leaned into it - past the point of no return. Gravity took over and I took a swim.

gasdad 04-03-2012 06:54 AM

Fishing with a friend and when we approached his pier to dock the boat one of crew jumped out the boat with bow rope in hand. Once his feet hit the deck of the pier it seemed like he had springs in his boat shoes. He hit the deck, made a small jump in the air and flew into the water on the other side of the pier--LMAO. No harm done to him other than his pride and wet cigarettes.

Crawdaddct 04-03-2012 07:36 AM

My buddy picked me up one morning to go fishing. He had a 20' welded aluminum boat with a 150 on it. He was pulling it with a datson pickup. I was leary, but figured it would be okay. We launched in Hackberry, no problems. When we got back to the ramp, it was low tide. We trailered the boat. He tried to pull out and sure enough, the truck wheels just spun on the wet cement. In fact every time he tried the truck actually slid further back. I tried pushing the truck. It would not budge. Luckily there were a lot of people there. By the time we finally got the boat out we had two guys jumping in the back of the truck and four pushing. Never again.

wtretrievers 04-03-2012 07:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crawdaddct (Post 414689)
My buddy picked me up one morning to go fishing. He had a 20' welded aluminum boat with a 150 on it. He was pulling it with a datson pickup. I was leary, but figured it would be okay. We launched in Hackberry, no problems. When we got back to the ramp, it was low tide. We trailered the boat. He tried to pull out and sure enough, the truck wheels just spun on the wet cement. In fact every time he tried the truck actually slid further back. I tried pushing the truck. It would not budge. Luckily there were a lot of people there. By the time we finally got the boat out we had two guys jumping in the back of the truck and four pushing. Never again.

When this happens, let boat come back into water & put motor in gear & push with boat, it'll get truck momentum going & drive right out. Don't forget to trim up!

Seeing Spots 04-03-2012 08:02 AM

Got Trailer??

1 Attachment(s)
Thought this was a good trick...Launched from wrecker!

latravcha 04-03-2012 08:21 AM

This past duck season I was launching at adams spillway landing. I had one of the guys we were hunting with me and we were meeting another guy but we were running about 30 minutes early. We decided to go on and launch the pro drive and then wait in the truck. While I was putting everything in the boat I asked the guy that was with me to put the plug in the boat. By the way I forgot to tell him I had two plugs one on the right side one on left. I put the boat in the water and pull the truck up and we wait in the truck for the other guy to get there. Well when he gets there he ask where the boat is I look over and all I see is a dim glow under the water. Boat had sunk to the bottom.

a few summers ago we were launching the bass boat one Saturday to go take a ride in Belle river. I get the wife in the boat and launch it without starting the motor and just pull it to the side and go and pull the truck up. Well the wind was blowing pretty good that day and I thought I had tied the boat good but must not have. Wife was screaming at me from the middle of Belle River. I tell her to just start the boat and drive it over. She then informed me that she could not because I had the keys. To this day she will not get into the boat until I get back from parking the truck.

EPaul 04-03-2012 08:21 AM

Game over! Seeing Spots wins!

Ragin_Cajun 04-03-2012 08:39 AM

Back in teh day at M.C. Locks, we were at Point Au Fer all weekend. We had a GMC Jimmy and a 26' HEAVY Scotty Craft. It was a perfect launch and we were able to drive straingt up and park.

Low and behold, when we got back, someone tried to steal out tires but didn't have a jack to get the truck high enough. Well, they didn't t tighten nor put the lug nuts back on!!!!!

Like i said, perfect straight forward and backward! We backed teh trailer down perfectly fine....and once we ran the boat up and started up the ramp....rear wheels buckle inwards half way up the ramp.

Had to release the winch strap and have another boat pull the boat off the trailer....not with out damages and then a wrecker and winch to get us back on level ground to assess the tires.

EVERY NUT WAS FOUND!!!!!

Talk about lock up a boat launch!

mrex 04-03-2012 08:44 AM

20 years ago I had a standard shift pickup. Went fishing by myself was ready to load boat. Went and backed trailer in water this was a very steep ramp. Circling the boat to line up with trailer truck started rolling backwards. Had no choice but to hit the trailer with boat. Had a 175 mercury, water was past the doors on pickup pushed the truck with boat back to launching position. Did not know at the time the emgency brake is not designed to hold in reverse. Everytime I got off the gas to go latch boat and secure the truck rig would start rolling back.

There was no one around to help. Could not find anything in boat to chock the wheels with. Finally got two life jackets to throw under the back wheels of truck. It held long enough for me to get out of boat and into the truck. Next trip you can bet I had a set of brand new wheel chocks to place behind the tires. When you fish by yourself a lot you have to pay more attention to small details.

1fastmerc 04-03-2012 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seeing Spots (Post 414703)
Thought this was a good trick...Launched from wrecker!

Ok. I've gotta know the story behind this.

wtretrievers 04-03-2012 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1fastmerc (Post 414728)
Ok. I've gotta know the story behind this.

There's a post about here somewhere

Seeing Spots 04-03-2012 09:09 AM

This is the story behind My Pic from above. All is good now... got a mclain trailer...Clicking noise was from depth finder banging back and forth by the engine...

Well, we were heading to Big Lake this morning hoping to see spots. Unfortunately we saw spots alright but it was the ones that you don't want to see. Comming up 210 between the barricades we smashed into the side:eek:. Knocked the axles off of one side but very little damage to the boat. My boy Billy from Elite Wrecker service came to the rescue. Still wanting to go fishing just had to be creative. I asked Billy if he could launch it, and he said no problem:smokin:. Launched the boat at prien with my buddy Mike Heinnen (came to the rescue with a flat bed to put my trailer on which was on loan from his brother mark) on hand and a gallery of folks comming to enjoy the sights. I told Mike it looked like one of his gallerys (He is a pro golfer). Got everything squared away then off to the feesh, but engine made a little clicking sound :cry:so parked the boat at a friends and started shopping for a trailer. If any of you have a trailer that would fit a 22ft bay boat with an 8'6" beam please let me know. No one was hurt and damage was minimal. Lifes to short to sweat the small stuff. Shad and LA Angler can you guys spare a few extra Salty Cajun Bucks for posting my story?:p

DUCKGOGETTER 04-03-2012 09:15 AM

I have way to many to choose from

BassAssasin 04-03-2012 09:28 AM

thats some great stuff! i have laughed out loud like 5 times.

I had a buddy (yellowmouth7) get stuck on the henderson public launch, he was backing trailer down so i could load the boat and i looked away for a second. I look up and he is parallel to the water and looking at me with this big smile. I lost it laughing

Backwards Kid's Mom 04-03-2012 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gasdad (Post 414680)
Fishing with a friend and when we approached his pier to dock the boat one of crew jumped out the boat with bow rope in hand. Once his feet hit the deck of the pier it seemed like he had springs in his boat shoes. He hit the deck, made a small jump in the air and flew into the water on the other side of the pier--LMAO. No harm done to him other than his pride and wet cigarettes.

I don't know why, but this one had me laughing so hard and still get a case of the giggles picturing this in my head!